Wednesday, February 20, 2008

pushing the limits

Is anyone else out there afraid of vapour barrier? Not to say I'm having ghastly nightmares of sheets of vapour barrier smothering me in my sleep. Not quite, but I am having fits about installing the stuff. This entire reno has been a reeducation. I'm just about done the insulation, I've fixed a wall, I've used power tools I've never used before, I've move electrical outlets, I've installed doorknobs, and soon I must install these large clear sheets of plastic horror. I've been procrastinating a bit 'cause I'm really not sure what the stuff should look like when it's done, and there seems to be pitifully little info on the subjects online, and what I can find does not seem to discuss the bits that are worrying me. Here is what I think I should be doing. I should be unrolling and stapling the sheets so they completely cover/seal all exterior walls, taping any opening and stapled bits. What I don't know is how to handle areas like around the floor joists, or how do I seal the stuff around windows, or what to do when a wall has no plastic over the studs like the wall between the living room and the garage. UHG. If anyone out there knows a good site, book, or video that covers this stuff, please pass it on.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: